Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 10-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

I'd say you did real well. Good sizes, nice price. GC did you a solid on this one.

I had a set with this finish years ago, 12/14/20. A bunch of us on DFO banded together to help out a kid in Texas who'd had her drumset stolen. I donated the set, someone donated cymbals, someone donated hardware, someone donated more hardware, sticks, etc, another guy cleaned and re-headed the drums, and we gave them to her. About fifteen drummers participated.

She never even came on the forum to thank us.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."

Last edited by DrumBob; 10-21-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
I'd say you did real well. Good sizes, nice price. GC did you a solid on this one.

I had a set with this finish years ago, 12/14/20. A bunch of us on DFO banded together to help out a kid in Texas who'd had her drumset stolen. I donated the set, someone donated cymbals, someone donated hardware, someone donated more hardware, sticks, etc, another guy cleaned and re-headed the drums, and we gave them to her. About fifteen drummer participated.

Yes, I am very pleased with them and stoked that it came with a matching snare drum! I spent some time this past weekend cleaning up the chrome and painted the drum hoops (covered the inlay with some masking tape). That's pretty messed up that you guys didn't even get a thank you for giving away drum kit! If anyone wants to give me a kit, I would be very, very thankful, lol
Old 10-07-2019, 02:35 PM

I have a kit just like that. I had one bearing edge repaired and they sound fantastic. Shells are 50+ year old mahogany (luan). Don't let anyone tell you luan drums are junk, they aren't. I think what you'll find is a deep, rich tone that resonates beautifully if tuned correctly. The only weak link is the snare. It will fall apart gradually if you use it regularly. Have fun with them!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:

I had a set with this finish years ago, 12/14/20. A bunch of us on DFO banded together to help out a kid in Texas who'd had her drumset stolen. I donated the set, someone donated cymbals, someone donated hardware, someone donated more hardware, sticks, etc, another guy cleaned and re-headed the drums, and we gave them to her. About fifteen drummer participated.

Geez. Did I tell you my Norma kit got run over by the subway the other day? Tragic. The train didn't even try and stop. Those fine, hand crafted, luan shells pulverized into splinters. Oh, the humanity!!!

If you would like to replace it with a BR Slingerland kit, I promise to post the biggest thank you you ever saw on this forum!!!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennytoons View Post
I have a kit just like that. I had one bearing edge repaired and they sound fantastic. Shells are 50+ year old mahogany (luan). Don't let anyone tell you luan drums are junk, they aren't. I think what you'll find is a deep, rich tone that resonates beautifully if tuned correctly. The only weak link is the snare. It will fall apart gradually if you use it regularly. Have fun with them!
Yes, I agree...luan drums can sound great! I have a MIT Reuther kit and a couple other vintage MIJ kits and I love them! Regarding the snare drum...I think it's really cool to have the matching drum but plan to use a different one when I set it up
Old 01-15-2020, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The guys I play with liked them, but the toms lacked resonance and had hardly any ring at all. They were dead, regardless of what heads I tried, or whatever tuning I utilized.
Yeah, you gotta re-cut the bearing edges on em when the're like that. You can breath a lot of life into them if you do that, but some of those early MIJs just had a really lousy flat edge or poorly cut rounded one, not a real bearing edge at all. Also, the tom shells, especially the rack toms were very light weight so the clunky 60's hardware pretty much keeps them from resonating to full potential. They are great candidates for rim mounts, it will more than double the resonance.

Once they age to 20 or 30 years old or more that oily luan mahogany dries out and the shells harden up, after that you can get them to sound pretty good but it does take some work.