Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Smile Rogers Dynasonic wood shell - Help (how) to restore
Hello dear forum. I'm from Colombia and don't have a big market to get spares. I found this old snare , and need to be repair because was saved a lot of time... BUT, all that i need is impossible to find here. I need all from USA. I like that see like the first time.
A lil description:
- 4 lugs was changed because don't have 2 of them, and another 2 has several damages
- Hardware have some signs of pitting by the time. The top hoop is the most affected, i think i need to replace.
- 4 internal screws aren't original of the snare
- external screws are rust and 10 aren't original
- The badge need a restore in the black color
- The internal muffler is dirty (i believe)

I'm just post a lot of photos, and wait that if you know where to get the originals lugs, screws help me. I will be very grateful.

Pd. Sorry for my english. I need more practice.
s. 3665 - If you can bring me information about, thanks.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Rogers Dynasonic wood shell - Help (how) to restore
I insert the rest, snare hoop top, the butt plate, 2 different screws and the badge
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

1964-early 65 would be your date of manufacture. This would still rate as early Beavertail era, 2nd generation beavertails from the Cleveland era. All the parts you would need to do a full restore are available, but none of them are going to be cheap. You should be able to find correct parts in excellent condition. Fully restored the drum would have much more value. I would not mess with the badge.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

One option that usually turns out to be the least expensive is to invest in one of the far less valuable chrome over brass shell models that were made in relatively high numbers as compared to the wooden shell models. They run around $400 or so, but less expensive if the brass shell happens to be scratched or dented. You can swap chrome if it is decent on the COB model. However, your drum is early enough that it could require stripping a 7-line COB and that wouldn't be as reasonable a move because they are fairly rare, as well.

I agree with Ploughman that you should not attempt to replace the oval badge or even the script badge. The shell, the oval badge and the script should all be left as is and cleaned carefully to avoid any damage. The rest of the drum only needs era appropriate parts, and given you have an early white marine pearl model it is worth a good deal of money even as just a shell with those badges intact.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The other option is to play the thing as is, because you can't hear the difference between a pitted drum and a clean one!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Hello lejo

I'm from Greece, so I know the difficulties that you have finding parts - I have the same difficulties here

I agree with the others: do not touch the badges or the shell. Your drum is rare and is worth a lot as it is, even without the original parts. In countries like ours, it is worth even more. Just be patient, in the end you will find the parts you need (and some people in here could help with that), it just may take you longer. In the meantime, play it hard and enjoy it

Alex
Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 PM

I would not replace the top hoop, it's not too bad. The pitted lugs shouldd be replaced, as well as the butt plate. When you buy the lugs, make sure they are from the Cleveland era. Also, look for lugs that still have the screws included - you can put together a correct set of screws from those and what you have already.

Do not disturb the screws on the Dynasonic badge, do not disturb the nails on the Rogers badge. A carefull cleaning is all that is needed.

You can find everything you need on eBay, but a lot of sellers will not ship overseas.

If you have any trouble, you can contact Bobby at www.drumfarm.com, he will have exactly what you need and he will ship anywhere...
Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have 3 of the heavy snare lugs you need..and correct mounting screws....

They are not mint,but not horrible either...

I can ship to you...no problem...

Shoot me your email for pics...thanks

Blair

Tags
dynasonic , rogers , wmp