Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Drumguy1988 Drumguy1988 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,905
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

I just found an entire 3-piece Ludwig Kit with those badges. All 3 have no serial numbers and the registered R. The kit is 3-ply 24 X 14, 13 X 9 & 16 X 16. I do question one thing. The air grommets on the Bass Drum And Floor Tom look newer than the on the 13. And there is some glue residue on the badge of the 13. It could be legit but I'm not sure. The seller always has some of the most amazing quality drums.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Ludwi...oAAOSw7nJdcIeN
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,392
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumguy1988 View Post
I just found an entire 3-piece Ludwig Kit with those badges. All 3 have no serial numbers and the registered R. The kit is 3-ply 24 X 14, 13 X 9 & 16 X 16. I do question one thing. The air grommets on the Bass Drum And Floor Tom look newer than the on the 13. And there is some glue residue on the badge of the 13. It could be legit but I'm not sure. The seller always has some of the most amazing quality drums.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Ludwi...oAAOSw7nJdcIeN
The rack tom has the darker green olive too.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,392
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

I think 1,400 is too much for the amount of damage on them.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 PM
zenstat zenstat is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1,723
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumguy1988 View Post
Do you think the Vistalite snare I posted is a Fake??? Or did I miss understand??
Snare badge not fake: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-LUDWIG...8AAOSwAnxcfCyM

Bass badge not fake: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-LUDWIG...oAAOSw8tZchUEK

Some (not all -- don't even know if it is 10%) "Vistalites" aren't Ludwig made. They are RCI or other shell manufacturers and have fake badges. That's about all we know.

Can anybody confirm 1976 for those two? Is the claim based on the particular pattern? Was that Pattern C R/W/B only available in 1976 as part of the Bicentennial? Or is it just another specific year which a seller gives which could mean all sorts of things?
__________________
Cymbal Wiki || A site about cymbals
Paiste portal click here || Avedis Zildjian portal click here || K Zildjian Istanbul portal click here

Last edited by zenstat; 10-09-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Drumwhacker Drumwhacker is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 95
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

KCDrumDad are you Richard/Rick?

I contacted my seller (still haven't got it yet) seems like a nice guy, he said no date stamp.

I'm thinking Zenstat's points ring true and KCDrumDad mentioned he hadn't seen one with a date stamp.

Great info all!

This is his response to me; "Hi, thanks again for your bid. I purchased the drum from the original owner about 7 years ago. He told me he purchased the drum new in 1976. I took his word for it based on the strainer, the thin hoops and the pointy badge. There is no date stamp inside the drum. He told me it the snare could have been made for an endorser. They sometimes didn’t put serial numbers on the drums that an endorser would get if it was a special order from what I was told. That’s all the information I can give you. It’s a really great drum."

Last edited by Drumwhacker; 10-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Drumguy1988 Drumguy1988 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,905
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
The rack tom has the darker green olive too.
The badge is real Not a repo. The darker Olive may just be a lighting issue.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Drumguy1988 Drumguy1988 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,905
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Snare badge not fake: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-LUDWIG...8AAOSwAnxcfCyM

Bass badge not fake: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-LUDWIG...oAAOSw8tZchUEK

Some (not all -- don't even know if it is 10%) "Vistalites" aren't Ludwig made. They are RCI or other shell manufacturers and have fake badges. That's about all we know.

Can anybody confirm 1976 for those two? Is the claim based on the particular pattern? Was that Pattern C R/W/B only available in 1976 as part of the Bicentennial? Or is it just another specific year which a seller gives which could mean all sorts of things?
Personally I would say these shells are legit. Doesn't RCI re-enforce the seem with a piece of Acrillic. These shells don't have that.

I would like to know also If the claim the seller makes is true also. I'm Canadian so Our bicentennial isn't for another 48 years. I'll probably be dead by then HAHA!!!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM
zenstat zenstat is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1,723
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
That was not my intent. I am under the impression that the darker
olive only existed after the 70's. Things noticeable from a distance, because you may not be close always are color tint and grommet placement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumguy1988 View Post
The badge is real Not a repo. The darker Olive may just be a lighting issue.
Yes the darker/lighter Olive is lighting as far as I can tell because I've got photos which show a variety of shades. That doesn't mean somebody might not be able to see a systematic difference in person if he had 25 of two types to compare. But I think OddBall seemed to leap from a sample of one or two to generalizing to all BO badges in the way he wrote his post.

Since commenting further, Oddball seems to mean a way to tell 80s from 70s badges (since he speaks of "after the 70s") although even that isn't clear. I don't think he meant fake vs real badges. Perhaps he meant b-stock from 70s? Hard to say given the lack of clarity.
__________________
Cymbal Wiki || A site about cymbals
Paiste portal click here || Avedis Zildjian portal click here || K Zildjian Istanbul portal click here

Last edited by zenstat; 10-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Drumguy1988 Drumguy1988 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,905
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumwhacker View Post
KCDrumDad are you Richard/Rick?

I contacted my seller (still haven't got it yet) seems like a nice guy, he said no date stamp.

I'm thinking Zenstat's points ring true and KCDrumDad mentioned he hadn't seen one with a date stamp.

Great info all!

This is his response to me; "Hi, thanks again for your bid. I purchased the drum from the original owner about 7 years ago. He told me he purchased the drum new in 1976. I took his word for it based on the strainer, the thin hoops and the pointy badge. There is no date stamp inside the drum. He told me it the snare could have been made for an endorser. They sometimes didnít put serial numbers on the drums that an endorser would get if it was a special order from what I was told. Thatís all the information I can give you. Itís a really great drum."
Something else to think u about. Great info Drumwhacker. I hope this is helping answer some of your question???
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Drumguy1988 Drumguy1988 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,905
Default Re: Ludwig blue/olive non serial # badge question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Yes the darker/lighter Olive is lighting as far as I can tell because I've got photos which show a variety of shades. That doesn't mean somebody might not be able to see a systematic difference in person if he had 25 to compare. But I think OddBall leapt from a sample of one or two to generalizing to all badges.
Excellent point.

Quite a mystery we have here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign