Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Remo Quadura snare drum
Hello everyone.Have you any info on this remo snare drum.Are those hoops and claws original?What is quadura and what aqusticon?As I understend,iner ply is aqusticon and outer is quadura,or I am wrong.It is 14x8"
Thank you!
________
Free ****ing tube
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Dule; 04-05-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Remo Quadura snare drum
Sorry, I have no info except to say cool lookin drum!
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Your drum shell is made entirely of Acousticon, which is the name Remo gave to their "resin impregnated fiber" shell material. (I guess "sawdust and glue" didn't sound as fancy. ) I think Quadura was sort of a model name, or a name given to a line or family of drums.

The hoops and claws are original because your drum was built to use PTS ("Pre-Tuned System") heads. The head comes pre-tensioned in a hoop, which gets clamped over the drum by claws. It's become pretty common to cut out old worn-out heads so the hoop can be used with a conventional head, which has already been done on your drum. I think you can still get PTS heads, but it might be a special order item.

My main experience with Acousticon was with marching drums and it was a total disaster. The shell material isn't strong enough to withstand high-tension tuning. More than a few bearing edges were crushed and rolled over on themselves. Even worse, the stuff isn't waterproof. It was sort of a high-tech wet cardboard in the rain. Thankfully, since you'll be indoors and the drum will (hopefully) be kept at a reasonable tension, you should be OK.

One more note... I can't tell from the pic what kind of condition the bearing edge is in. I'm hoping it's not damaged or rolled over because Acousticon bearing edges are pretty much impossible to repair.

Last edited by SkyDog75; 06-07-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have a REMO snare (custom ordered) and it plays flawlessly. It's an indoor snare and definitely not something I would take out on the marching field. The tensions are kept at a normal snare level. I've never heard of any issues regarding the REMO shells. Then again, I've no experience with them in the school band arena. These shells are very sweet, as is the hardware. They have a great sound and sensitivity. Your particular might very well be a PTS. I was never a fan of those. It limited the sounds. You can usually find those heads on ebay. There are several individuals that sell those NOS.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thank you guys i am offered this snare and some money in exschange for my Pearll free floating,14x6.5,metal shell snare,but I will pass
thank you again
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer Heating Element

Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog75 View Post

The hoops and claws are original because your drum was built to use PTS ("Pre-Tuned System") heads. The head comes pre-tensioned in a hoop, which gets clamped over the drum by claws. It's become pretty common to cut out old worn-out heads so the hoop can be used with a conventional head, which has already been done on your drum. I think you can still get PTS heads, but it might be a special order item.

I don't think this drum uses those PTS heads, I don't remember the lugs on the PTS ones having any tension rods at all just clips. Kinda like this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-REMO-PTS...item3a5bb1b5da

I think this just had those crazy flip down lugs, that supposedly made head changes faster. I have a Quadura snare that isn't PTS and it actually sounds really good. If those bearing edges are good, I wouldn't take it in a trade for a pearl free floater, but I would try to get the drum on the cheap.
62 Slingerland COB Radio King- 5x14

Last edited by Musicaldeath; 06-07-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicaldeath View Post
I don't remember the lugs on the PTS ones having any tension rods at all just clips. Kinda like this guy...
I've actually wrenched on a few schools' PTS drums that had rods. (I don't remember if they were all marching drums, though.)

You could be right about this drum not being a PTS and the hoop & claw setup being there just to facilitate the quick-release lugs, but those hoops look quite a bit like the hoops that PTS heads were suspended in. If you cut the Mylar out of a PTS hoop and mount a conventional head, it'll look like the picture posted above.

...but either way, it's still an Acousticon drum, so I'd pass. I hope I never have to deal with those cardboard drums again.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I found some more pics from net,and it is similar as this snare in topic
________
Luv
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dule View Post
I found some more pics from net,and it is similar as this snare in topic
Was there any info about the drum where you found those pics? I'm pretty curious to see if it is a PTS or not
62 Slingerland COB Radio King- 5x14
Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM

I had one of those snare drums. It sounded pretty good until I cranked it up too tight and the shell collapsed. The Remo drums from this era didn't sound bad at all.