View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: My first 22" A - age?

If you are talking about the bend in the edge of the cymbal as seen in the profile shot, that is not closely related to the application of the die to create the trademark stamp. The bend in the edge just looks like a bend in the edge to me. Sometimes cymbals which are thin on the edge have that happen to them. Yours might be quite tapered and have thin metal towards the edge. At 2520 that's the average weight for these mid 1950s 22" cymbals, but they are known for being tapered so that more weight is in the bell and less at the edge.

What Mike is talking about is something which appears in some cymbals. I don't spot that on the bottom photo of yours, although maybe I'm just not seeing it. It is an oval depression associated with the piece of metal which pushes the cymbal onto the die. I'm not sure of the year when they started using a machine for this, but it probably goes back to the mid 1950s. Here is an example of what to look for:

Billy Jeansonne (Classic Drummer/Vintage Drummer) on how the stamp was applied:

Quote:
Trademarks were rolled on the cymbals using a pneumatic machine with a die rendition of the trademark. The faintly stamped trademark would sometimes occur with the first few cymbals as the correct thickness of the cymbal was determined and the proper pressure was set as not to distort the cymbal being stamped. Sometimes a "pucker" mark or "indention" would occur from the bottom side of the cymbal if the pressure was not correctly set.
although it isn't yet clear when the use of a pneumatic machine began, rather than a guy with a hammer. My guess is that the machine was around by the mid 1950s, maybe earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block-22-bot-pucker.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	122591   Click image for larger version

Name:	block-22-top-pucker.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	122592  

Last edited by zenstat; 11-22-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: pics attached