Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Non-USA drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Getting some Torodor Drums :) (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=60759)

ardrummer 11-07-2017 08:38 AM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummerjohn333 (Post 421184)
I believe these were made by Pearl.
and the shells will date them (you probably already know):

Thin with rerings through 1967ish.
Thick with no rings 1968ish and later.

This rule is general and applies to both Pearl and Star made kits.

Congrats - that is a great score! If you are like me - you will build an entire set of flat based MIJ hardware to go with your vintage MIJs. Scores like this is a great help toward that goal. Not quite as rugged, not quite as reliable, etc. - but they still work just fine if you make sure they are complete and in good condition.

Tune the heads to the shells - and these will sound great. SOme are even shocked at how good they can sound. If you have any tuning issues - just have the edges recut - and it can totally liberate them.


Thanks for the info...didn't know that about the re-ring dating. I have a couple other MIJ kits and they are both no re-ring. I should get this kit from my brother on saturday....I'm curious to see it!

ConvertedLudwigPLayer 11-07-2017 11:50 AM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
I had the same throne, but mine had been recovered. I remember it being kind of rickety and not comfortable. It eventually broke, but I still have the pieces, I believe.

My bass pedal said "Speed Pedal".

ardrummer 11-07-2017 02:08 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer (Post 421239)
I had the same throne, but mine had been recovered. I remember it being kind of rickety and not comfortable. It eventually broke, but I still have the pieces, I believe.

My bass pedal said "Speed Pedal".


Yeah, the throne doesn't look too sturdy, lol

grantro 11-07-2017 05:45 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here`s a Torodor set on CL...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/m...344456844.html

The listing states:

This is a vintage Torodor drum set that my mom bought for my dad new in 1968. I replaced the cymbals about 6 or 7 years ago. It really hasn't been played much in the last 30 years. It includes everything pictured. PICK UP ONLY! $350 FIRM

Cheers

ardrummer 11-08-2017 08:21 AM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421264)
Here`s a Torodor set on CL...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/m...344456844.html

The listing states:

This is a vintage Torodor drum set that my mom bought for my dad new in 1968. I replaced the cymbals about 6 or 7 years ago. It really hasn't been played much in the last 30 years. It includes everything pictured. PICK UP ONLY! $350 FIRM

Cheers

thanks for that listing....cool to compare mine to that one. I was thinking late 60's...this confirms that :)

ConvertedLudwigPLayer 11-08-2017 02:36 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421264)
Here`s a Torodor set on CL...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/m...344456844.html

The listing states:

This is a vintage Torodor drum set that my mom bought for my dad new in 1968. I replaced the cymbals about 6 or 7 years ago. It really hasn't been played much in the last 30 years. It includes everything pictured. PICK UP ONLY! $350 FIRM

Cheers

That kit has been for sale for quite a while (it happens) as I saw it well over 6 months ago, if not longer. I love that it has the flat based stands which came with my kit. The stands could be a little wobbly, but they were light and easy to move. The rubber feet distintegrated over time. I did not have the hi-hat stand. My bass pedal was also different. I suspect they were packaged with different / similar hardware at various times. As I mentioned earlier inthe thread, my pedal says "Speed Pedal" and I have seen other TorODor kits with the same pedal as mine, but that could have been a coincidence of course.

ardrummer 11-08-2017 03:00 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer (Post 421318)
That kit has been for sale for quite a while (it happens) as I saw it well over 6 months ago, if not longer. I love that it has the flat based stands which came with my kit. The stands could be a little wobbly, but they were light and easy to move. The rubber feet distintegrated over time. I did not have the hi-hat stand. My bass pedal was also different. I suspect they were packaged with different / similar hardware at various times. As I mentioned earlier inthe thread, my pedal says "Speed Pedal" and I have seen other TorODor kits with the same pedal as mine, but that could have been a coincidence of course.

It looks like the snare and one of the hi-hat stands are original in the pics for the kit I am getting. Once I actually get them this weekend I will see for sure what all it came with.

ardrummer 11-12-2017 01:28 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
4 Attachment(s)
Got the drums...they are in great condition (wrap, chrome etc.). Sound really good too! Very nice kit. Everything came with it....original hi-hat stand, snare stand (original snare), & kick pedal. The wood looks different than my other mij kits....it this still luan? It's a lighter color than my other kits.

grantro 11-12-2017 02:06 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Awesome looking set!! But, how can you play them while they are up there?

Cheers

ardrummer 11-12-2017 07:03 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421562)
Awesome looking set!! But, how can you play them while they are up there?

Cheers

Thanks! I have 8 drums kits, and only have room to have 5 setup. When I get a chance, I am going to set them up and record how they sound. I am to the point of collecting kits now :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign