Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Non-USA drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Getting some Torodor Drums :) (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=60759)

ardrummer 11-03-2017 09:56 AM

Getting some Torodor Drums :)

3 Attachment(s)
My brother is picking up some Torodor drums for me today. They appear to be in great, original condition. I am assuming these are made by Pearl. Anybody have any Torodor drums or info on them? I'm thinking mid to late 60's by the bass drum rail. Looking forward to getting it :) About forgot the price...$100

vyacheslav 11-05-2017 11:59 PM

Re: Getting some Torodor Drums :)

Very Nice AR!

Looks like original hardware and original heads. Certainly not an uncommon wrap or mounts etc, but the price sure was right, especially with all the "fixins".

Enjoy!

V

jmcohen 11-06-2017 10:10 AM

And it comes with an entire hi-hat farm!

ardrummer 11-06-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyacheslav (Post 421104)
Very Nice AR!

Looks like original hardware and original heads. Certainly not an uncommon wrap or mounts etc, but the price sure was right, especially with all the "fixins".

Enjoy!

V

Yeah, the price is what sealed the deal. I get it from my brother this weekend....looking forward to seeing it in person. I'm also hoping that one hi-hat is a vintage Zildjian :) I will post pics when I actually get it.

ardrummer 11-06-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcohen (Post 421128)
And it comes with an entire hi-hat farm!

lol....not sure why they have 3 hi-hats stands, but not going to turn them down :)

grantro 11-06-2017 02:37 PM

You did well for the price!! It should be an easy detail job!! Congrats!!

Cheers

ardrummer 11-06-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421149)
You did well for the price!! It should be an easy detail job!! Congrats!!

Cheers

Thanks! I'm excited about getting it :)

ConvertedLudwigPLayer 11-06-2017 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a TorODor set in gold sparkle. I got it used in 1976 and still have it. I played the heck out of it until 1983 when I got a Ludwig Vistalite. I set it up and started playing it again about 13 years ago after not playing much at all for decades. This was the set that gave me a love for music and entertained me for hours in my youth.

The shells are luan mahogany - looks like old cheap doors, but they are warm sounding shells, not a lot of sustain. I have the chrome snare and it is a great little drum.

One of the tom arms broke after a couple of years and my dad got it welded for me. Thankfully, you can find parts on eBay now if you need to replace anything.

Drummerjohn333 11-06-2017 11:53 PM

I believe these were made by Pearl.
and the shells will date them (you probably already know):

Thin with rerings through 1967ish.
Thick with no rings 1968ish and later.

This rule is general and applies to both Pearl and Star made kits.

Congrats - that is a great score! If you are like me - you will build an entire set of flat based MIJ hardware to go with your vintage MIJs. Scores like this is a great help toward that goal. Not quite as rugged, not quite as reliable, etc. - but they still work just fine if you make sure they are complete and in good condition.

Tune the heads to the shells - and these will sound great. SOme are even shocked at how good they can sound. If you have any tuning issues - just have the edges recut - and it can totally liberate them.

ardrummer 11-07-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer (Post 421162)
I have a TorODor set in gold sparkle. I got it used in 1976 and still have it. I played the heck out of it until 1983 when I got a Ludwig Vistalite. I set it up and started playing it again about 13 years ago after not playing much at all for decades. This was the set that gave me a love for music and entertained me for hours in my youth.

The shells are luan mahogany - looks like old cheap doors, but they are warm sounding shells, not a lot of sustain. I have the chrome snare and it is a great little drum.

One of the tom arms broke after a ciyoke of years and y dad got it welded for me. Thankfully, you can find parts on eBay now if you need to replace anything.

Very cool history/background on your kit. It looks great...really like that orange sparkle! I have a couple other MIJ kits and am really happy with the sound they produce :)

ardrummer 11-07-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummerjohn333 (Post 421184)
I believe these were made by Pearl.
and the shells will date them (you probably already know):

Thin with rerings through 1967ish.
Thick with no rings 1968ish and later.

This rule is general and applies to both Pearl and Star made kits.

Congrats - that is a great score! If you are like me - you will build an entire set of flat based MIJ hardware to go with your vintage MIJs. Scores like this is a great help toward that goal. Not quite as rugged, not quite as reliable, etc. - but they still work just fine if you make sure they are complete and in good condition.

Tune the heads to the shells - and these will sound great. SOme are even shocked at how good they can sound. If you have any tuning issues - just have the edges recut - and it can totally liberate them.

Thanks for the info...didn't know that about the re-ring dating. I have a couple other MIJ kits and they are both no re-ring. I should get this kit from my brother on saturday....I'm curious to see it!

ConvertedLudwigPLayer 11-07-2017 12:50 PM

I had the same throne, but mine had been recovered. I remember it being kind of rickety and not comfortable. It eventually broke, but I still have the pieces, I believe.

My bass pedal said "Speed Pedal".

ardrummer 11-07-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer (Post 421239)
I had the same throne, but mine had been recovered. I remember it being kind of rickety and not comfortable. It eventually broke, but I still have the pieces, I believe.

My bass pedal said "Speed Pedal".

Yeah, the throne doesn't look too sturdy, lol

grantro 11-07-2017 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here`s a Torodor set on CL...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/m...344456844.html

The listing states:

This is a vintage Torodor drum set that my mom bought for my dad new in 1968. I replaced the cymbals about 6 or 7 years ago. It really hasn't been played much in the last 30 years. It includes everything pictured. PICK UP ONLY! $350 FIRM

Cheers

ardrummer 11-08-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421264)

The listing states:

This is a vintage Torodor drum set that my mom bought for my dad new in 1968. I replaced the cymbals about 6 or 7 years ago. It really hasn't been played much in the last 30 years. It includes everything pictured. PICK UP ONLY! $350 FIRM

Cheers

thanks for that listing....cool to compare mine to that one. I was thinking late 60's...this confirms that :)

ConvertedLudwigPLayer 11-08-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421264)

The listing states:

Cheers

That kit has been for sale for quite a while (it happens) as I saw it well over 6 months ago, if not longer. I love that it has the flat based stands which came with my kit. The stands could be a little wobbly, but they were light and easy to move. The rubber feet distintegrated over time. I did not have the hi-hat stand. My bass pedal was also different. I suspect they were packaged with different / similar hardware at various times. As I mentioned earlier inthe thread, my pedal says "Speed Pedal" and I have seen other TorODor kits with the same pedal as mine, but that could have been a coincidence of course.

ardrummer 11-08-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer (Post 421318)
That kit has been for sale for quite a while (it happens) as I saw it well over 6 months ago, if not longer. I love that it has the flat based stands which came with my kit. The stands could be a little wobbly, but they were light and easy to move. The rubber feet distintegrated over time. I did not have the hi-hat stand. My bass pedal was also different. I suspect they were packaged with different / similar hardware at various times. As I mentioned earlier inthe thread, my pedal says "Speed Pedal" and I have seen other TorODor kits with the same pedal as mine, but that could have been a coincidence of course.

It looks like the snare and one of the hi-hat stands are original in the pics for the kit I am getting. Once I actually get them this weekend I will see for sure what all it came with.

ardrummer 11-12-2017 02:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the drums...they are in great condition (wrap, chrome etc.). Sound really good too! Very nice kit. Everything came with it....original hi-hat stand, snare stand (original snare), & kick pedal. The wood looks different than my other mij kits....it this still luan? It's a lighter color than my other kits.

grantro 11-12-2017 03:06 PM

Awesome looking set!! But, how can you play them while they are up there?

Cheers

ardrummer 11-12-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 421562)
Awesome looking set!! But, how can you play them while they are up there?

Cheers

Thanks! I have 8 drums kits, and only have room to have 5 setup. When I get a chance, I am going to set them up and record how they sound. I am to the point of collecting kits now :)

ConvertedLudwigPLayer 11-13-2017 11:40 AM

They look great. I love the hi-hat stand. I am curious to know what you think about the snare.

The wood can vary between drums on these kits.

ardrummer 11-13-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer (Post 421613)
They look great. I love the hi-hat stand. I am curious to know what you think about the snare.

The wood can vary between drums on these kits.

Thanks! The stand are pretty cool/interesting...I was glad it had the original hardware. The snare sounds good. I haven't been able to mess with it much yet but it is the exact snare (by Pearl) that I bought a few weeks ago (Ultratone) just a different logo.

ardrummer 11-13-2017 09:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some pics of the kit setup.

vyacheslav 11-15-2017 02:00 PM

Very nice!

Those look great! Usually MIJ Blue Sparkle kits are faded or dull looking. Not those!

It's cool that they have two separate tom mounts, so you can use it as a 4 piece if you want, which would then give you the option of using the shell mounted cymbal holder. I bet that snare sounds really good!

BTW, I've always wondered why they put the cymbal holder on 5 piece kits. Where were you supposed to put the cymbal? I guess so you can use it as a 4 piece like I mentioned above.

Also, do you think someone, somewhere has boxes and boxes full of MIJ cymbal arms, since virtually all MIJ kits with the cymbal holders are missing the arms? If this person does exist, I bet they live right next to the person who has all the extra lost socks from dryers around the world!

ardrummer 11-15-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyacheslav (Post 421775)
Very nice!

Those look great! Usually MIJ Blue Sparkle kits are faded or dull looking. Not those!

It's cool that they have two separate tom mounts, so you can use it as a 4 piece if you want, which would then give you the option of using the shell mounted cymbal holder. I bet that snare sounds really good!

BTW, I've always wondered why they put the cymbal holder on 5 piece kits. Where were you supposed to put the cymbal? I guess so you can use it as a 4 piece like I mentioned above.

Also, do you think someone, somewhere has boxes and boxes full of MIJ cymbal arms, since virtually all MIJ kits with the cymbal holders are missing the arms? If this person does exist, I bet they live right next to the person who has all the extra lost socks from dryers around the world!

Yes, I am very pleased with the condition of these drums...almost mint condition!
I thought the same thing about the cymbal arm mount. There is no way to use it when both toms are mounted. Cool thing is, it actually came with the cymbal arm. If I ever play out with it, I think I will use it as a 4 piece or maybe a 5 piece with one tom mounted on a snare stand to the left. I like that setup and will actually be able to use the cymbal mount. Maybe they put these on on the kits standard and just left them on the 5 piece kits?, only think I can think of.

Drummerjohn333 11-23-2017 08:30 PM

I have that same kit in my basement waiting for restore (with like several others). Mine has no badges though. Good solid fatter lugs that were not around for very IIRC.
That snare is a great sounding snare. Any snare with that shell......

and let me know if you want one (snare). I know where one is for sale for cheap. (killing me not to buy it myself....but can only justify have so many of the same drum)

ardrummer 11-24-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummerjohn333 (Post 422307)
I have that same kit in my basement waiting for restore (with like several others). Mine has no badges though. Good solid fatter lugs that were not around for very IIRC.
That snare is a great sounding snare. Any snare with that shell......

and let me know if you want one (snare). I know where one is for sale for cheap. (killing me not to buy it myself....but can only justify have so many of the same drum)

Since this kit came with the original snare I will probably just stick with it. I don't need any more drums, lol. Thanks for the offer though

ardrummer 08-23-2019 09:10 PM

I finally did a demo of this kit. It took me long enough, I know...lol

DrumBob 08-24-2019 01:36 AM

I hope you'll take the covers off the rack toms when you play them!

JimmySticks 08-24-2019 09:23 AM

Great demo and playing as usual ar.

You always prove the naysayers wrong who say these MIJ kits are junk. You've made every MIJ kit I've heard you play sound good, and it was one of your You Tube demo's that convinced me to buy one of these stencil kits, and I haven't been sorry. They are pretty darn cool!