Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   DRUM IMAGE GALLERY (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Star Snare Drum Gold-Eddy Satin Flame (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=61453)

idrum4fun 01-18-2018 03:10 PM

Star Snare Drum Gold-Eddy Satin Flame

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

This is my newest acquisition to my MIJ snare drum collection, a beautiful Star snare drum, wrapped in Gold-Eddy Satin Flame. Just received it a few days ago and haven't even taken the original "Star" heads off for interior inspection! It's all original, down to every metric tension rod washer! The satin flame wrap shows no fading, cracking, spider-webbing, etc. The lightly used heads had only minimal dents, which were easily removed with my heat gun. I plan a full tear-down and detailing in the coming days. I love these MIJ wraps!

-Mark

idrum4fun 01-18-2018 03:11 PM

Re: Star Snare Drum Gold-Eddy Satin Flame

5 Attachment(s)
More pictures! Enjoy!

-Mark

markrocks68 01-18-2018 03:49 PM

way cool wrap indeed!

idrum4fun 01-18-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrocks68 (Post 425866)
way cool wrap indeed!

Hi Mark!

Yes indeed, a very cool wrap! The majority of MIJ snare drums have sparkle wraps, with some agate and oysters thrown in. Don't see many of these satin flame wraps. I really love collecting the more rare finishes, such as my Peacock Pearl and Pearl Fantasia snare drums!

-Mark

mlayton 01-18-2018 10:38 PM

Mark

What a neat find. One of my fave MIJ wraps. Looks great. Have fun with the detailing.

Mike

OldReliable 01-18-2018 11:25 PM

Amazing snare, Mark! I’m curious about those stock heads, is the batter an Ambassador weight head, or even a Diplomat? It looks like it’s held up really well for a vintage drum, and I’ve played on a (gasp) Pearl Export that had the junkiest stock Remo UX’s that dented within seconds!

idrum4fun 01-19-2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlayton (Post 425885)
Mark

What a neat find. One of my fave MIJ wraps. Looks great. Have fun with the detailing.

Mike

Hi Mike!

I'm always scouring eBay for MIJ drums in the more rare wraps. The biggest issue is that the asking prices of these drums have really sky-rocketed! Not that they sell for those prices, but you'd think the sellers feel they are sitting on a gold mine with many of these snare drums. When I saw the Gold-Eddy drum, I messaged the seller about their bottom line and received a very fair offer...with free shipping! Couldn't pass it up! Still haven't removed the heads, but will soon!

-Mark

idrum4fun 01-19-2018 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldReliable (Post 425887)
Amazing snare, Mark! Iím curious about those stock heads, is the batter an Ambassador weight head, or even a Diplomat? It looks like itís held up really well for a vintage drum, and Iíve played on a (gasp) Pearl Export that had the junkiest stock Remo UXís that dented within seconds!

Hi OR!

I haven't yet removed the heads, but based on how easily the few dents in the batter head cleared up with my heat gun, I'm inclined to think the batter head is on the thin side. I have a feeling it was meant as an Ambassador weight, but hard to tell what the Japanese were using at the time. Since I don't plan to play the drum, I'm not worried about ruining the head. I just feel it's really cool to find this drum with the original heads...and still in good condition, too!

-Mark

grantro 01-19-2018 04:18 AM

Great score, Mark!! Congrats!!

Cheers

idrum4fun 01-19-2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantro (Post 425900)
Great score, Mark!! Congrats!!

Cheers

Thanks, grantro!

-Mark