Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted to Buy (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1967 Dynasonic Snare (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=18312)

Roggie 12-08-2010 11:21 AM

1967 Dynasonic Snare

Would like to purchase a Dynasonic snare for my WMP 67 Headliner kit(currently have a Powertone in WMP) that came with the set.

The powertone sounds ok..however, would like to compliment with a Dynasonic from the same era...everybody talks about the superior sound of a Dynasonic versus a Powertone...is it really that much better?

Mike T 12-08-2010 11:46 AM

Re: 1967 Dynasonic Snare

If you can find one in WMP get out your check book and prepare to pay through the nose good luck and yes they sound much better.

idrum4fun 12-08-2010 12:12 PM

Yes, when tuned properly, the Dynasonic is a great snare drum! Finding one in WMP? Good luck! TommyP has some wonderful WMP Dynasonics and I'm sure he'll chime in shortly about these!

Tommyp 12-08-2010 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Roggie, Mike T and idrumforfun!... ( idrumforfun!, how are you my friend!! ) ...

I do indeed have two Rogers wood WMP Dynasonics, a 1966 and a 1967. The 1966 is part of a dedicated Buddy Rich snare drum collection, but the 1967 is my MAIN gigging snare drum as I play it with the 1965 Buddy Rich Celebrity set.. ( shown in my avatar pic ) .. as well as with my 1966 Buddy Rich Headliner set and my mid 60's Rogers Jazz set, ALL of them in WMP! The only reason I mention all of this is to show that a Rogers wood Dynasonic can be a very versatile drum and cover many styles with aplomb once it is understood and "set-up" correctly. I also have a KILLER 1965 WMP Powertone, but do prefer the Dynasonic... but that's just a personal decision. Not everyone finds the Dynasonic a "user friendly" snare drum, but I think most of that is truly in the understanding of how the drum functions and/or in it's inital set-up. Sooo....

Is it "better" than the Powertone? Who can say as that is completely 100% subjective to personal opinion. I will offer that it is indeed a different voice and would be nice to have/play in addition to the Powertone... then ... you may find that you prefer the Dynasonic, in which case it will become your main snare drum. This all said, I haven't played my Powertone in at least 8 years now... not because it's not a good drum, just that I personally prefer the Dynasonic. With that said...

... Cost. Time was Roggie that you would lay out, and I'm not kidding here... $4000.00 for a WMP Rogers Dynasonic of 60's era build. I agree... that was INSANE!!!! ... but that's what they were selling for when times were good. Times right now are not so good, thus a WMP Rogers Dynasonic, complete with all proper parts present and in very good to excellent condition will "only" bring in the $1500.00 to "possibly" $2000.00 area contingent on who's looking, and who's selling. There are of course other factors that can contribute to the final price, but that's an accurate range in today's market. I would have to say that it is certainly a BUYER'S market currently as prices are indeed on the soft side.

Hope this was of help Roggie! Here's a pic of my 1966 that is in my Buddy Rich snare drum collection. This one is NEAR MINT as the pic might attest!

Tommyp

Roggie 12-08-2010 08:37 PM

I appreciate everybody's comments....Thanks again

Drummy Drummerson 12-09-2010 05:07 AM

Truly a beautiful looking snare Tommy.

Tommyp 12-09-2010 05:08 PM

Drummy Drummerson!...

... 'tis indeed!, and THANKS for your nice comment!!

Tommyp

Roggie 12-10-2010 10:37 AM

Tommyp...
That is a beauty...what is the cymbal (size) set up you have?

Tommyp 12-10-2010 12:28 PM

Hey Rob!...

The drums are 1965 Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity's with complete/correct hardware just as Buddy played it... but the cymbals, to answer your question, are where I deviate slightly owing to personal taste, although the cymbal "set-up" is indeed Buddy's. That said...

ALL cymbals are Sabian HH's in the following sizes/weights, and I have been playing this particular set-up for the past decade too!...

20" Custom Made ride: ( one of a kind! ) .. unlathed/hammered raw top with lathed bell, lathed bottom similar to an AA. GREAT ping/projection with the lathed underside giving it a gentle amount of spread/wash. This was a special request cymbal and as such it's signed on the underside bell by Robert Zildjian which was a little surprise/bonus!

Right side crash: 17" Extra Thin HH
Left side crash: 17" Thin HH
Splash: 8" HH
Hats: 13" HH top... 13" HH Fusion bottom

Thanks for your interest! :-D

Tommyp

Roggie 02-15-2011 07:23 PM

An update to my WMP Wood Dynasonic post/search...I was able to source and purchase one over the holidays in mint condition and I must say...it sounds so sweet and rich. In fact...the whole set(67 WMP Headliner) sounds better with it's addition. Not sure what to do with the Original WMP Powertone snare now...however...I must say..the Dyna sound is better that I expected...very happy to have it as part of my set.
R