Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Shell ID? (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=64925)

Hobbs 07-25-2019 03:49 PM

Shell ID?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Any ideas on the manufacturer?

jda 07-25-2019 04:40 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
could have been a Complete WFL at one time.

Hobbs 07-25-2019 04:48 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jda (Post 449451)
could have been a Complete WFL at one time.

I thought, JDA, WFL or 1959 Ludwig Downbeat since it's 14x14" and has the white re-rings.

Wonder, however, about the upper placement of the grommet hole ... as in, shouldn't it be @ the center of the shell?

Could this be a 50's Slingerland shell???

jda 07-25-2019 08:07 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
Yes that's more likely (matches the other drum in the other thread)
This look like it had Ludwig hardware (?) which probably maybe drops in Slingerland holes

Hobbs 07-25-2019 09:13 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jda (Post 449461)
Yes that's more likely (matches the other drum in the other thread)
This look like it had Ludwig hardware (?) which probably maybe drops in Slingerland holes

I yanked the black(re)wrap off + they muffler holes are different than the Slingerland tom.

I will take a few pics and post tomorrow.

OddBall 07-26-2019 12:04 AM

Re: Shell ID?
 
I'm gonna call Tama power tom. Too nice inside to be luddy.

Hobbs 07-26-2019 09:08 AM

Re: Shell ID?
 
4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 449473)
I'm gonna call Tama power tom. Too nice inside to be luddy.

Thank you Oddball.

Maybe the muffler holes will nail it ... it does look like a WFL/Ludwig drilling to me as it matches the 1959 DOWNBEAT catalog page. But : the badge hole isn't centered as it should be.

Note, however, that the only impressions in the shell are Ludwig. Hmmm ...

slingerfan 07-26-2019 12:12 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
I think Slingerland can be ruled out because:
1) No vent hole used during Slingerland mahogany interior era
2) Lug impressions incorrect.
3) Muffler holes different.
4) Bearing edges appear too sharp.
5) Leg mounting impressions incorrect.

OddBall 07-26-2019 01:27 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbs (Post 449479)
Thank you Oddball.

Maybe the muffler holes will nail it ... it does look like a WFL/Ludwig drilling to me as it matches the 1959 DOWNBEAT catalog page. But : the badge hole isn't centered as it should be.

Note, however, that the only impressions in the shell are Ludwig. Hmmm ...

59 Down Beat had a different footprint for the mount. I don't see that one til early 60's.

OddBall 07-26-2019 01:29 PM

Re: Shell ID?
 
Is it also true that the wrap lapped into the shell ? Do you have that ?

Never mind, I see the luddy hump now........But no wrap inside.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign