Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DW Buys Slingerland Name (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=65459)

DrumBob 11-25-2019 05:57 PM

DW Buys Slingerland Name

It was announced today that DW has purchased the Slingerland name from Gibson. The guys over at the Slingerland Facebook page are split, but most are already bemoaning this new deal, with the usual stupid responses: "They're gonna be too expensive," "DW sucks," "DW drums sound like sh**," etc. I for one, play and love my DW drums, I know the people at DW, and I'm sure they'll do the name proud.

I intend to contact my AR guy at DW to ask him what the plans are for the new Slingerland drums. I'll report back.

JimmySticks 11-25-2019 06:43 PM

Re: DW Buys Slingerland Name

I can't see this being a bad thing.

Gibson went Chapter 11, and as it emerges, it will want to get back to their guitar business and nearly everything else will be shed. They simply don't have the money to keep Slingerland going, and besides, how many people even knew Slingerland still existed under Gibson? Not many is my guess, unless your a real Slingerland guy.

DW is healthy from what I can see, they have a good reputation and I think they will do a better marketing job for Slingerland than Gibson ever could.

I'd be optimistic, Slingerland survives!Cool1

OddBall 11-25-2019 06:57 PM

It's a good thing he's dead !

Multijd 11-25-2019 08:07 PM

I agree! This is a good move for all involved.

vintagemore2000 11-25-2019 08:35 PM

It will at least get the name back out, with a reputable builder and distributor. I'm Happy with it.,

Creighton 11-25-2019 09:35 PM

Looking forward to what you hear back. Thanks.
Creighton

JimmySticks 11-25-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 454541)
It's a good thing he's dead !

LoLoLoLoFunny PostLoLoLoLo!!!

johnnyringo 11-25-2019 09:55 PM

I don't see the point, let's say the new Slingerlands are 2 grand, if you have an extra 2 grand to blow on a kit, are you going to by the DW/Slingerlands or a 1950's Radio King? Or even a clean 60's Slingerland kit. I mean, Slingerland isn't just a name, it's sorta like going to see a tribute band over the real thing, makes no sense.

OddBall 11-25-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyringo (Post 454553)
I don't see the point, let's say the new Slingerlands are 2 grand, if you have an extra 2 grand to blow on a kit, are you going to by the DW/Slingerlands or a 1950's Radio King? Or even a clean 60's Slingerland kit. I mean, Slingerland isn't just a name, it's sorta like going to see a tribute band over the real thing, makes no sense.

I'll give you three guesses as to who wants to put their brand on a Rich/Krupa kits....the first two don't count.

Multijd 11-25-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyringo (Post 454553)

Of course when you buy a new drum you get a new drum. There’s no reason someone cant make a modern drum with high quality control thats as good as the vintage drums.