Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   General Drum Questions (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   U.s Mercury Drums (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=33103)

dsansone 10-07-2012 06:39 AM

U.s Mercury Drums

Hi -

does anyone know about Mercury drums. I've heard they became Star which later became Tama. I'm thinking of buying a 60's kit in red tiger pearl. - 20 -12 -16 -5x13 with bass mounted cymbal arm. Wrap and chrome is excellent. What really blew me away were the shells. All drums have re-rings, including the snare and the bass has 3 re-rings. Never saw that before. The lugs are tear drop and staggered.and resemble Premier's Wood and edges look fantastic. Any info would help. I realize we're
not talking Rogers here, just wondering if they are worth $350. Very cool kit.Thank you.

tnsquint 10-07-2012 09:06 AM

Re: U.s Mercury Drums

There are several guys on here that are experts on MIJ stencil kits. Those were very cheap kits manufactured mostly by Tama and Pearl factories and imported by various US distributors and sold with whatever name or names the distributors chose. Therefore a single Tama manufactured kit could be sold under dozens of different "brand" names. These were also the kits you found at Sears, Montgomery Ward, JC Penny, etc.

Basically these were very cheap, entry level kits manufactured from luan with vertical grain. The three re-rings were quite common and were necessary to keep the cheap shells from deforming. What is interesting is that apparently, with the passing of time, these drum shells have dried out, hardened and transformed from being basically cheap, throw-away drums into decent musical instruments. They generally require some reforming of bearing edges and possibly some interior finishing.

The experts here can tell you all about that. The MIJ kits are a great and cost effective way to get started with collecting and restoration. They often come with really unique wrapped finishes, though blue and red sparkle were very prevalent. I think many here will tell you a pristine MIJ kit would be worth $350. Personally, I think that is too high since there are deals available for highend vintage kits in that price range if you look hard enough and are not afraid of some cleaning. I have a 22-13-16 Ludwig B/O kit that I bought on eBay for $274 including shipping. There have been posts of garage sale finds of really nice vintage kits for $50.00. My opinion is that you probably should not pay more than $250 for a really great condition stencil kit simply for that reason. Argue the point that you are interested in the drums but that they were, in fact, very entry level drums.

dsansone 10-07-2012 10:42 AM

thank you for the all the info. I'll just be patient and watch ebay.

tnsquint 10-07-2012 11:23 AM

I should also say that there is a lot of sentimental value in those drums as many started on them as their first kit. I started on a Premier Olympic kit which was a cheaper line for them something akin to Ludwig Club Date or Rogers Tower line. I spent more than I should have to acquire one just like it a few years ago. If you have some sentimental attachment to Mercury drums, it would be tough to put a price tag on it.