Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   future of drumheads (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=64860)

steff 07-11-2019 01:44 PM

future of drumheads

today I was wondering if the future of drumheads could be in biogenetics to recreate the artificial skin they use today for medical surgery, it would be a great way to produce an industrial quantity to improve the technology, I wondered if today it is still only fantasy or would already possible

JimmySticks 07-11-2019 03:06 PM

Re: future of drumheads

I'm no expert, but don't calfskin drum heads already accomplish the feel and sound that biogenetically created skin would?

Even though it is artificially created, ethically speaking, people/drummers may not be ready to use it for anything other than its medical purpose.

O-Lugs 07-11-2019 03:27 PM

Interesting...but I'm not sure that our primitive style drums will even warrant such a technological advancement as you suggest. Our beloved analog instruments may go by the wayside one day.

steff 07-11-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmySticks (Post 448851)
I'm no expert, but don't calfskin drum heads already accomplish the feel and sound that biogenetically created skin would?

Even though it is artificially created, ethically speaking, people/drummers may not be ready to use it for anything other than its medical purpose.

only for a ethics matter, I am vegan but I recognize that calf skins have inimitable peculiarities, modern drummers are the only musicians forced to play plastic in their instrument, I wonder if a double bass player or a violinist would ever use nylon strings or a saxophonist the plastic reeds, they exist but nobody uses them

kdg 07-11-2019 05:49 PM

I think Soylent Green shows promise in this endeavor. :)

jaghog 07-11-2019 06:46 PM

So trip out while we eat recycling

Hoppy 07-12-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steff (Post 448849)
today I was wondering if the future of drumheads could be in biogenetics to recreate the artificial skin they use today for medical surgery, it would be a great way to produce an industrial quantity to improve the technology, I wondered if today it is still only fantasy or would already possible

At first, this seems like an easy topic to dismiss. However, I would think that this idea would be much more viable when the world decides to get a grip on managing its waste streams, particularly when thinking about items that aren't readily biodegradable like plastic drum heads.

Additionally, I would wonder about the price of this type of synthetic "skin." Maybe it would not be cost prohibitive if it "commercial grade vs. a medical grade type product. Also curious as to what the durability and sound would be like compared to Mylar heads???

steff 07-12-2019 12:37 PM

^^

the first question that comes to mind is that if you by chance sell mylar ? otherwise I don't really explain your answer

jda 07-12-2019 12:40 PM

Hell no they will be Hemp. Made from hemp like a BMW i3 interior.

maybe.
Hemp has recently (under this administration)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomange...a-prohibition/
been freed up and declassified to go into use.

JimmySticks 07-12-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdg (Post 448858)
I think Soylent Green shows promise in this endeavor. :)

Funny PostFunny PostFunny Post!!!!

Now that was funny!

Thanks for the memories. You do know that about 80% of the members here have no idea what Soylent Green is.

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!" Charlton Heston