PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Stick Thread!

vyacheslav
01-11-2011, 01:42 AM
I know there are (were) lots of vintage stick sizes and styles. A buddy of mine has a whole bag of vintage sticks that he got with a vintage kit. He was kind enough to let me grab a few a pairs. I pulled out two "Ludwig Pencil Models", a "Ludwig Joe Morello Model" and a "Ludwig Jo Jones 12A Model".

I love these sticks! They were a little blemished and the tips just needed some light sanding to firm them back up, but I really love these sticks! The Jo Jones models were actually split near the tips on both. I put a bunch of woodworker's glue in the split and left clamps on them overnight, then sanded away the rest of the glue with some 220 grit. Not perfect, but serviceable! Much lighter and shorter than today's models (except Bopworks....see below). The Jo Jones sticks clock in at just over 14 inches long!

I am familiar with Bopworks sticks and own numerous pairs, luckily there is a dealer 4 miles from my house! These remind me a lot of Bopworks (which makes sense, because Bopworks was inspired by vintage sticks), but these are even cooler, because they have serious mojo! What are some of your favorite vintage stick models? I know there is a pretty comprehensive list on the Bopworks website of vintage stick models, but I am not too familiar with this subject. Any of them have a "cult" like following (like an Old K does for cymbals)?

I remember back in the late 80's I had a few pair of a Ludwig Roy Haynes model with a nylon tip. I remember the Ludwig logo and the lettering on the stick was a really shiny, almost electric looking, blue. Darn, I wish I still had some of those!

Anyways, please share your favorite vintage sticks, stories, good finds, fond memories etc.

P.S. Anyone know what the deal is with Bopworks status now? I had heard that they had gotten sued over something and had to shut down for awhile. My guess is that it was over the Gene Krupa signature model, because now on the Bopworks website, the name of the stick is now the "40's Swing Classic" model. According to their my space blog, they are back up and running, producing one model at a time. I had also heard that they were going to introduce an Art Blakey signature model. Anyone have any inside scoop on Bopworks?

Thanks!

vyacheslav
01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
One more thing:
At the risk of sounding like Jerry Seinfeld: "What's The Deal With Ridiculous Pricing on ebay for Vintage Sticks?"

I recently saw 6 pair of unused/sealed bag Buddy Rich Model Slingerland sticks (in the Slingerland factory box) on ebay and they Buy It Now price was $989.00. Yes, $989!! For that price, I better SOUND like Buddy for as long as I play those sticks!

I know there are always vintage sticks on ebay, but never less than $20 a pair (or so it seems). Hey, I love vintage sticks, but certainly not THAT much!

OddBall
01-11-2011, 02:41 AM
There`s a sucker born every day !!

vintagemore2000
01-11-2011, 08:29 AM
NOS buddy Rich sticks bring big bucks, but not that big of bucks, that seller has been running that price for a long time! but vintage rosewood sticks bring big bucks also, I was lucky to get a pair of Barrett Deems sticks on the cheap but they usually sale for good money also any real NOS especially unopened in the bag stick will set you back a few dollars.

mlayton
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
ive started accumulating vintage sticks and brushes myself. didnt really mean to. just found a deal a few times and got them. i bought a package deal last week that had a ludwig and ludwig stick in it. ive got maybe 25 pairs of vintage sticks. i too love the way they play. i noodle around with them sometimes. just dont wanna break them. i have one pair that i need to try to find a modern relacement for. they are that good! i use my wife's hair ties to double tie the matching pairs together.

mike

redneckdrum
01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I have an old pair of Ludwig Ray Baudic sticks.They came with a 1965 Supraphonc I found on Craigslist

jfra545365
01-11-2011, 11:49 PM
When I buy a pair of new sticks, I am very careful to make sure the are straight ( I roll them around on a flat surface) and to make sure they are the same pitch by knocking them together (preferably high - more dense)

How do you make sure the vintage sticks you purchase are playable?

vintagemore2000
01-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't play or use My vintage sticks to valuable as History artifacts and cost wise.

backbeatkeeper
01-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I have a few....
One stick from Todd Trent that was given to him by Alex Van Halen
A drumstick from "The Chief" that I got from David (Webmaster)
2 pairs of Bermuda Schwartz personal sticks
WFL "Barrett Deems" 3A
Gretsch 7A Nylon tip and butt
Ludwig Metal tip
Bun E. Carlos person sticks
Ludwig 11A ( in wrapper )
Ludwig Dino Danelli 2A (in wrapper )
Slingerland 19A Barrett Deems
Roger Earl (Foghat) personal sticks (Pro-Marks. Given to my by my cousin)
Ludwig Ed Thigpen 8A

I didn't set out to collect, it just started.

mlayton
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
ive been looking for some old ludwig 8a's for a long time. if you ever run across another set, please keep me in mind. thanks!

mike

mlvibes
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Man, I have a trunk full of vintage sticks and brushes that I've accumulated over the years of buying drum sets. Some are NOS in the plastic bag, but most are pretty beat. Maybe it's time to start selling them for 1K per pair on ebay? Laughing H

-Bill

backbeatkeeper
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
ive been looking for some old ludwig 8a's for a long time. if you ever run across another set, please keep me in mind. thanks!

mike

Was that request aimed at me?

mlayton
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Was that request aimed at me?

yep!Excited

mike

backbeatkeeper
01-12-2011, 07:59 PM
yep!Excited

mike
I'll see what I can do...

O-Lugs
01-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I've gotten some pretty neat old sticks with some of the drums and sets I've purchased, too...mostly ones that came with my Juvenile drum collection.

I bid on some old Premier rosewood sticks from someone in Scotland once and I thought I had them until the price suddenly jumped to over $100.00!!! They were nice, though...just too rich for my budget!

Tommyp
01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Jeeze... now I have to chime in here! :-D

I have collected every model Buddy Rich stick made for Buddy from 1950 through 1980 which covers.. ( in order of endorsement/use by Buddy ) .. WFL... Rogers... Slingerland... Cappella.. Ludwig. Buddy played Cappella sticks for many years as they were made to his specs by the Cappella Company which was located in NJ back in the day. The sticks Buddy is holding on the cover of the 1972 album "Stick It" are Cappella's. This being 1972, Buddy was still in his endorsement agreement with Slingerland, but preferred the Cappella's and played them for quite a while until returning to... Ludwig, and for the THIRD time at that! Anyway,

All these sticks are NOS with just about all of them still in their plastic bags. Buddy being Buddy, some of these sticks are interesting in their design, specifically the WFL and Rogers BR model which Buddy wanted "scalloped" to fit his fulcrum. Those had to be sanded by hand to that particular shape, one pair at a time. After signing on with Slingerland in 1968, Buddy abandoned the "scalloped" fulcrum feature. A bunch of these sticks are rare and hard to find as they are all specifically BR models. I have seen the Rogers Buddy Rich model sticks sell for $150.00 per pair with regularity! Course it helps if the sticks are NOS which all of mine are. Lastly,

Buddy's Ludwig stick from 1978 through 1982 was designated a 15A, but it was in reality a BR model stick as it had a unique shoulder/tip design, unlike any of his other model sticks which were actually pretty similar.

Tommyp

backbeatkeeper
01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Tommy,

Are the Vic Firth Signature Buddy Rich sticks anything like the ones you have in your collection? I've always liked that stick, but without the white paint.

BBK

Tommyp
01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
BBK!...

Good question!, and one that I get asked all the time... well ... more of a "did Buddy EVER ACTUALLY PLAY the Vic Firth BR stick?" Did you happen to notice that this particular stick was conspicuously absent from my collection? LOL! Reason for that is...

I'm not sure WHERE Vic Firth.. ( or whomever does their design/development ) .. came up with THAT stick as being a Buddy Rich model as it's not even close to ANY of the sticks Buddy ever played. Before I go any further let me add that I am not in any way knocking this model as a viable stick as it does seem that a lot of guys like 'em!, but again, they're not anywhere NEAR an actual BR model stick. Here are the comparisons:

Length. This is pretty much the only area that is actually correct to a BR model stick irrespective of manufacturer.

Weight. WAY too heavy.

Shoulder/tip. Very similar to the 1978 Ludwig Buddy Rich 15A actually!, but again too thick/heavy.

Overall size. TOO LARGE. Buddy's model sticks are what I would categorize as a cross between a standard 7A and a 5A with a few slight tweaks in shoulder/tip.

Whereas the Firth BR model stick is a neat collectible as a "collectible", it's not anywhere near an actual Buddy Rich model stick that Buddy ever played. All this said...

I also have an article in the works on Buddy's sticks covering some of what I have mentioned here, and with pics showing all the differences.. ( however slight ) .. in his sticks over the years.

Nice to hear from you Gary!

Tommyp

backbeatkeeper
01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I kinda figured they weren't "official". Thanks for the input. I hear Mark has been bending your ear lately. I saw the 7-line he has, it's a beauty. Of course, when he came over I showed him the new lady (Slingerland Jet) He was cursing me (in a good way) over that deal. :D

DionneDrummer
04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I just picked up 2 pair of Rogers 9As at a music store. Paid $3.99 each. They guy said they got them when they had bought stock from another music store that went out of business. He said they might be from the 60s.

Anyone have info on them?

Thanks.

calfskin
09-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Ludwig 8A Ed Thigpen Ludwig U.S.A.. I have lots of vintage sticks of all sizes and shapes and types of wood----from just about everywhere. I play them all, a little but I always come back to those sticks. I think they are , hickory and they weigh 42 gm. I'm going to try to recreate them. I have a a lathe and lots of Hickory------which is already seasoning. About 2 years ago a bunch of vintage sticks came to me from eastern Germany. Most of them are pretty interesting. One pair, unmarked , looks to be from Mahogany----likely the African one, is about a 1/2 mm thicker than the Ed Thigpens, weighs 44gm. and are about as good. Another pair labelled Kuhema 4 HEVP 1 Paar 4.10 has a normal diameter shaft but drops down to a 3/16" neck with a 1/4" tip. Despite the size, they weigh 46 gm. and have a beautifull flexible ,quick feel to them. The wierd thing is , they are made of plywood but not any ordinary plywood. There are 25 alternate grain plys of what looks like European Beech, through the stick. There are 12 plys through the 1/4" tip! The only other thing I have seen like this is the very slender necks of old Framus acoustic guitars, which were made in the same way.

Purdie Shuffle
09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I own a pair of ebony sticks that could be 70+ years old. I paid $110.00 for them. They are 15 3/4" long, thin, heavy and they are some of the most well-balanced stick sets I own. I play trad grip with a very soft hold on the stick. I 'usually' have to make small adjustments in my left hand while I'm playing to keep the fulcrum from drifting too far back or forward. With the ebony sticks, I don't have to make those small twitch moves to keep the fulcrum between the web of my fingers. The sticks are slightly weighted to the front which is perfect. It's that balance that keeps it from drifting in my hand.

The sticks just feel solid in my hands. The weight helps tremendously with rebound control. I can work up a little speed with them.

Love my ebony's!

John

jaghog
09-13-2011, 09:27 PM
can someone please sell me some Joe morello 11 a'si would be forever gratefull

Webmaster
09-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I have more sticks then I can "Shake a Stick At" probably 40 - 50 pairs. There are a few more that I would like to find.

That would make a nice feature on the web site with all of the catalog examples and history.

Hmmm....

One question I have still not answered... Who was the first drummer to have their name put on a stick and which manufacturer did it?

Anyone?

David

Purdie Shuffle
09-14-2011, 01:17 AM
can someone please sell me some Joe morello 11 a'si would be forever gratefull

If I had a set of Morello's, you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hand! lol

Actually, if you want to try out some great jazz sticks without breaking the bank, you might want to look into, BOPworks drum sticks. I can recommend the Shelly Mann model and the Krupa 40's Swing re-issue sticks. The Krupa's are especially fine sticks. Lots of attack and they really pull the sound out of the drum. A little strong on the brass for me, but an overall great stick. Check em out. If you like playing patterns on the brass, the Shelly Mann's have the perfect bead. The small bead and thin, tapered neck make the cymbals sing and the notes you play sound clear, open and airy. The sticks have a really nice light touch on the brass. Lets you hear every tic. Jazz city.

Who was the first drummer to have their name put on a stick and which manufacturer did it?

I'm going to ''guess" it was during the 60's that signature sticks showed up on the scene. I'm also guessing that it was either; Krupa or Buddy whose names appeared first on sticks. (as far as 20th century players.) I haven't the foggiest recollection of which brand of sticks either of them played during that era.

If I get the answer correct, what do I win? Do I get to date your sister, 72 virgins, what? lol

Good trivia question!

John

Mike Curotto
09-14-2011, 01:37 AM
I love vintage drum sticks...I probably have 200 pair plus another 30 pair of vintage brushes, I'm talking vintage as in 1900s...I purchased 17 pair from the WFL II estate, rosewood, snakewood, ebony etc...

Mike Curotto

Purdie Shuffle
09-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Mike, pm me a price on the ebony set. Go easy... I'm on a pension! lol

Serious inquiry.

John

Slingalud
09-14-2011, 06:58 AM
My new favorites are a matched pair and "almost new" WFL Bauduc 4A s. (:Ray Bauduc and Big Noise from Winnetka:)

GiantBeater
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Anyone have a pair of the Ringo Starr 12A's? Would love to have a pair to get cloned. thanks!

backbeatkeeper
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Anyone have a pair of the Ringo Starr 12A's? Would love to have a pair to get cloned. thanks!

I might....have to check.

GiantBeater
09-14-2011, 09:28 PM
oh my god! please let me know. I play Ringo for a pseudo living in Beatles bands. Would mean a lot, thank you

backbeatkeeper
09-14-2011, 10:56 PM
oh my god! please let me know. I play Ringo for a pseudo living in Beatles bands. Would mean a lot, thank you

Sorry, don't have them anymore.....I'll check a source I have.

GiantBeater
09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
thanks for checking!

jaghog
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
fyi promark sticks has reissue 11a Joe Morello hicoryThe Band

backbeatkeeper
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Just got this lot and then I noticed the still in the plastic Ludwigs.....

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/Drums%20and%20drum%20stuff/CopyofMiscdrumstuff013.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/Drums%20and%20drum%20stuff/CopyofMiscdrumstuff014.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/Drums%20and%20drum%20stuff/CopyofMiscdrumstuff015.jpg

jaghog
09-19-2011, 06:27 PM
r u bragging or selling or both Bowing

backbeatkeeper
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
r u bragging or selling or both Bowing

Not bragging, sharing. It's hard to see, but the top pair is Roy Haynes model, also unopened. I don't know what the Buddy Rich sticks would go for, I'm just curious how old they are.

jaghog
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
any joe morello or gene krupa

backbeatkeeper
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
any joe morello or gene krupa

No, but I'll keep my eyes open for 'em.

Tommyp
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
BBK!...

The Ludwig 15A "Buddy Rich" model sticks are from 1977 to around 1980, although they had disappeared from the Ludwig catalog by 1980.. because .. Buddy and Ludwig parted ways in 1980, and for the last time. Buddy continued to play Ludwig drums from 1981 through 1982, but WITHOUT an endorsement deal.

I have 2 pair of the 15A blue lettering "Buddy Rich" model sticks NIB, although you know I HAD to open up one pair to check them out as they are such a unique design. My collection of Buddy Rich sticks are complete from 1949 to 1980, with each pair NIB/NOS. He was pretty specific on what he wanted/liked in a stick through the years, and for the most part there was consistency... until the Ludwig 15A that is! That model is again, unique, and unlike any of his other personal model sticks.

As to what are they worth? Whatever an interested party will pay! I've seen 'em go upwards of $100.00 per pair... seriously. Enjoy!!

Tommyp

backbeatkeeper
09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks Tommy, your enthusiam about anything you post on is infectious. I love it!! As far as the sticks go, if I sold one pair for what you've seen them go for, I'd make a nice profit. I'm so tempted to open the bag and give them a try. Thanks for a clarification on the year they were made.

You are da man!!

Tommyp
09-20-2011, 07:38 AM
BBK!...

Thanks man!... course I do have the areas that I'm very researched in, and BR would be the main one. That said, I wanted to flesh out my response a tad:

The 1980 Ludwig catalog still shows the Buddy Rich Outfit as Buddy was still "with the company", but barely. By the end of 1980 he was history, but the catalog had of course already been printed. Interestingly, the 15A Buddy Rich model stick isn't shown in the catalog, but his personal model drums were. Regarding what a pair of these sticks are worth:

I can't say what they might sell for TODAY, but when things were better.. ( read: economy/consumer confidence ) .. I saw more than a few of these go for $100.00 a pair. They are kind of rare, especially NIB. Nice find!

Tommyp

MarkD
09-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Another fanstastic stick I ran into some years ago, and was able to run into a treasure trove of them for a peanuts price, was the Densiwood Stick (nylon tipped).

I believe these were made by Capella, appear to be a red hickory, and are 7A models.

My friend in Sarasota Fla, found a man, who must've evidently bought Capella's remaining stock when the company folded, as he must've had 200 cases of sticks, stacked 6' high, and lining an entire garage wall!

Have about 60 pair of the Densiwoods, and as well another 40 or so pair of 5A. Price per pair all in sealed bags....$1. The Densiwood 7A is as the name implies, a very slender, but dense, and heavy stick for its size, nicely balanced, and plays wonderfully, and makes a comparable sized Vic Firth stick feel like it's made from Balsa Wood.

Also some really wierd sticks, with an additional two nylon beads on them, attached with a very heavy stiff monofilament line, branching off like a fork from the main nylon tip. Said to make you sound like "3 drummers"! I think I have about a dozen sealed pair of these lying around somwehere.

As well, if I remember correctly, Capella was one company who was making those huge "Cheech&Chong" monster sticks, made famous in "Up in Smoke", and these were a nice item to have, look lovely up on a wall in the drum room. Mark

MME
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Speaking of Vintage sticks,here is a good one.Handmade! The top one is the lightest stick ever and the lower one is a Leedy Ludwig-Kenny Adler model.I bought a "lot" from a family who's uncle had passed away and they sold off his drum items. The case everything came in fell apart when I got it,but I bet the case could have told many stories. Inside were his sticks with some that were homemade. This is a picture of the best one,plus a Ludwig Jr pedal and homemade hi-hat. The guy was pretty smart and a good plumber to come up with this hi-hat.It works fine after I install a new spring(I would like to find an old beat up spring to replace the new chrome one). The owner drummed in the 20's and 30's according to the family member I got everything from.But the Leedy Ludwig stick seems newer than the 30's????. Neat lot anyway.

Mike Curotto
09-20-2011, 10:14 AM

I have a pair of Ringo Starr 12A and 13A...The 12A are sealed with a photo card of Ringo.

Mike Curotto

GiantBeater
09-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I have a pair of Ringo Starr 12A and 13A...The 12A are sealed with a photo card of Ringo.

Mike Curotto

Mike, are you selling? Could I just see some high quality pictures of both? Would be much appreciated, thank you so much

brendan

backbeatkeeper
09-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Mike Curotto

Up for a trade for some Buddy Rich sticks?

MarkD
09-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I remember the Rogers Buddy Rich tapered sticks, and was using these back in the day, At the time, was my favorite stick.

Taking lessons at Frank's Drum Shop in Chicago in the 60's, I truly don't think there was a stick made, that Maury lishon didn't carry!

I remember having the Ludwig Ray Baduc model as well, and if I recall, (but I'm going on a very fuzzy past memory from 46 years ago, didn't this stick have an odd, squarish bead?

Currently, still got a bunch of sealed Slingy Gene Krupa Sticks, as well as sealed Barrett Deems.

The seller of my Slingy Barrett Deems set gave me some for free, and as well, good buddy Steve Maxwell passed some onto me as well, at a visit once at his house.

The sticks were of course very deeply appreciated from Steve, he's one hell of a swell man, but the bigger gift I think was gawking-drooling, and even playing some of his killer collection of Gladstones, Dynas, Craviottos, and even got to sit in for a few minutes on his prized Slingy Buddy Rich Set.

A set very similar to my Barrett Set, but his I believe is about 3-4 years older, Rogers swivomatic head on the Splash Cymbal Rod, and I remember at the time Steve having one of those Dualist BD Pedals on the set. A crazy pedal to get used to! Dummy I was, that I didn;t bring a camera, but I didn't wish to perhaps insult Steve by doing photo shoots of his prized possessions. Mark D.

Mike Curotto
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Mike, are you selling? Could I just see some high quality pictures of both? Would be much appreciated, thank you so much

brendan

Here you go...The sticks in the frame are: Gene Krupa sticks/brushes, Buddy Rich sticks/brushes, Louis Bellson sticks/brushes, Joe Morello sticks/brushes, Ringo Starr #13A...The BR, LB and JM are from actual gigs and were given to me.

The sticks in the canvas bag are from the WFL I/II estate and were purchased from WFL III soon after WFL II's death.

The Ringo sticks are the laminated model #13A.

Enjoy.

Mike Curotto

Mike Curotto
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Up for a trade for some Buddy Rich sticks?

I have BR WFL sticks and Rogers-era sticks already.

Mike Curotto

backbeatkeeper
09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I have BR WFL sticks and Rogers-era sticks already.

Mike Curotto

Worth a shot....

GiantBeater
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
PM sent Mike

vyacheslav
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
If I had a set of Morello's, you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hand! lol

Actually, if you want to try out some great jazz sticks without breaking the bank, you might want to look into, BOPworks drum sticks. I can recommend the Shelly Mann model and the Krupa 40's Swing re-issue sticks. The Krupa's are especially fine sticks. Lots of attack and they really pull the sound out of the drum. A little strong on the brass for me, but an overall great stick. Check em out. If you like playing patterns on the brass, the Shelly Mann's have the perfect bead. The small bead and thin, tapered neck make the cymbals sing and the notes you play sound clear, open and airy. The sticks have a really nice light touch on the brass. Lets you hear every tic. Jazz city.

I'm going to ''guess" it was during the 60's that signature sticks showed up on the scene. I'm also guessing that it was either; Krupa or Buddy whose names appeared first on sticks. (as far as 20th century players.) I haven't the foggiest recollection of which brand of sticks either of them played during that era.

If I get the answer correct, what do I win? Do I get to date your sister, 72 virgins, what? lol

Good trivia question!

John

I agree with your spot on assessment of the Bopworks Shelley Manne's. One of my favorite sticks. BTW, the Zildjian Hal Blaine model is virtually identical to the Bopworks Shelley Manne. But I would support Bopworks 8 days a week over Zildjian.

Ludwig400
04-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Here are some Joe Morello Ludwig 11A's I was given the other day. Any thoughts on the dates of them? One pair with blue lettering that is centered, one stick blue lettering that is closer to the butt, one pair with black script, and one pair with red lettering.

mlayton
04-12-2012, 11:43 PM
about all i could add is that the script logo models in the center should be circa 60's and the block logos would be 7-0 or later. nice gift! i tried to buy a pair of the script models on ebay this past week and missed them.

mike

ModOrange
04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I used to use "Ludwig Pencil Models" in the late 60s. Is there a similar stick on the market today?

vyacheslav
04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Mod-O,

I have several pairs of the Pencil models, 3 wood tip and 3 nylon tip. I agree, they are a great stick!

As far as modern equivalents to the Pencil, nothing is quite the same but I would check these out:

Bopworks Birdland
Bopworks Shelley Manne (or Zildjian Hal Blaine, which is virtually identical)
Vater BeBop 500 (Hickory or Maple)

All those sticks are around .500 (none bigger). The Birdland's have different tips. The Manne's/Blaine's have the pointy-er tip similar to what the Pencils had. I really like the new Vater BeBop 500 maples as well (named as such because they are .500 diameter) Light and fast! They have a smaller tip the Pencils did, but still sound great.

You can also get the Vater BeBop models in .525 and .550 diameters, in both hickory and maple.

I definitley recommend trying ALL the Bopworks stuff (they have 6 models). I have a pair of those script Ludwig 11A Morello's from the 60's, and the Bopworks Mel Lewis model compares very favorably to them. Bopworks whole approach is to re-create vintage stick sizes and feel. Chris Bennett is the owner and a great guy, plus you can buy them right online.

http://bopworks.net/

vyacheslav
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
about all i could add is that the script logo models in the center should be circa 60's and the block logos would be 7-0 or later. nice gift! i tried to buy a pair of the script models on ebay this past week and missed them.

mike

Hey Mike,

I have a pair of the script models. As I noted above, check out the Bopworks Mel Lewis. They compare very nicely to the Script Morello's.

Ludwig400
04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I have to check those out... I Just ordered the Shelly Manne and Mel Lewis sticks. I knew joining this forum was going to be a bad idea... at least for my wallet.

vyacheslav
04-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I have to check those out... I Just ordered the Shelly Manne and Mel Lewis sticks. I knew joining this forum was going to be a bad idea... at least for my wallet.

Cool!

Let me know when you get them and what you think of them. They come in "old school" plastic bags (at least as of last year they did).

ModOrange
04-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Mod-O,

I have several pairs of the Pencil models, 3 wood tip and 3 nylon tip. I agree, they are a great stick!

As far as modern equivalents to the Pencil, nothing is quite the same but I would check these out:

Bopworks Birdland
Bopworks Shelley Manne (or Zildjian Hal Blaine, which is virtually identical)
Vater BeBop 500 (Hickory or Maple)

All those sticks are around .500 (none bigger). The Birdland's have different tips. The Manne's/Blaine's have the pointy-er tip similar to what the Pencils had. I really like the new Vater BeBop 500 maples as well (named as such because they are .500 diameter) Light and fast! They have a smaller tip the Pencils did, but still sound great.

You can also get the Vater BeBop models in .525 and .550 diameters, in both hickory and maple.

I definitley recommend trying ALL the Bopworks stuff (they have 6 models). I have a pair of those script Ludwig 11A Morello's from the 60's, and the Bopworks Mel Lewis model compares very favorably to them. Bopworks whole approach is to re-create vintage stick sizes and feel. Chris Bennett is the owner and a great guy, plus you can buy them right online.

VY,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm not familiar with Bopworks and will definiitely check them out. I mostly use Regal Jazz and Vater Sugar Maple Series 7A, both with nylon tips. They're the closest I've been able to find to the old Pencils.

Jim

snaremania
04-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I have a pair of George Lawerence Stone's personal rosewood sticks.
They are from his estate (locked up since 1966/7).

vyacheslav
04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
VY,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm not familiar with Bopworks and will definiitely check them out. I mostly use Regal Jazz and Vater Sugar Maple Series 7A, both with nylon tips. They're the closest I've been able to find to the old Pencils.

Jim

No problem, Jim!

You'll REALLY dig the Bopworks stuff. MUCH thinner and MUCH closer to the Pencils than the Sugar Maple 7A and the Regal Tip Jazz Nylon. The Bopworks Birdland or Shelley Manne will make those Regals and Vaters feel like 5B's!

Ludwig400
04-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Cool!

Let me know when you get them and what you think of them. They come in "old school" plastic bags (at least as of last year they did).

Received the Shelly Manne and Mel Lewis Bebop sticks in the mail today. USPS destroyed the box, but the sticks were still in perfect condition. The balance of weight and matching of pitch is fantastic with these sticks. Even the width of the grain is well paired. I tried these out tonight with a group and loved both pairs. the Manne sticks are EXTREMELY light, almost too light, but are perfect for some applications. They will come in handy for playing in my college's very live concert hall. The Mel Lewis sticks are a new favorite of mine. They have a very nice tapper and are balanced perfectly. I would definitely recommend these sticks, and I will have to try out the others.